- PhD English, University of New Hampshire, 1995
- MA English Language and Literature, University of Virginia, 1986
- BA Biology and English, Magna Cum Laude, Harding University, 1984
Current and recent courses:
- Visions of Utopias in Literature & Culture
- American Romantic Literature
- American Authors in Italy
- American Women’s Visions of Utopia & Mobility
- Gender Issues: Women’s Narratives of Healing
- American Literature I (Beginnings to 1865)
- Introduction to Women’s Literature
Selected publications and presentations:
- “Damanhur: Sustaining Changes in an Intentional Community.”Spiritual and Visionary Communities: Out to Save the World. Ed. Timothy Miller. Ashgate Publishing, 2013. 15-28.
- “Sectarian Communities: Religious Diversity in British America, 1730-1790.” Cambridge History of Religions in America. Volume I: PreColumbian Times to 1790. Ed. Stephen J. Stein. Cambridge UP, 2012. 467-88.
- “Benjamin Rush 1746-1813.” Nineteenth-Century Literature Criticism, Vol. 251. Columbia, SC: Layman Poupard Publishing, 2012. 249-336.
- “Nelly Erichsen: Writing and Sketching for the House of Dent.” Anglo-Italian Cultural Relations in Nineteenth-Century Tuscany Conference, September 2012.
- Selections from Eliza Leslie. University of Nebraska Press, 2011.
- “Transcendentalism.” Cultural Encyclopedia of Vegetarianism Ed. Margaret Puskar-Pasewicz. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, Inc. 2010. 225-27.
- Eating in Eden: Food and American Utopias. University of Nebraska Press, 2006.
- “’To Make a Figure’: Benjamin Rush’s Rhetorical Self-Construction and Scientific Authorship.” Early American Literature 41.2 (2006): 241-272.
- Bodies of Life: Shaker Literature and Literacies. Contributions to the Study of Religion. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1998.
Research and professional interests
LEGACY: A Journal of American Women Writers(journal of the Society for the Study of American Women Writers)
- Consultant, 2000-
- Editorial Collective Member, 2007-
- Book Review Editor, 2007-
Communal Studies Association
American Communal Societies Series (Hamilton College, Richard W. Couper Press)
- Editorial Board Member, 2006-
Awards and honors
Public Affairs Grant, “Leaving the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints—One Woman’s Perspective,” lecture by Carolyn Jessup, Missouri State University, 2011
William J. Fulbright Italian Commission for Cultural Exchange, Senior Lecturer in American Literature, University of Catania, Sicily, 2009