- EdD, University of Missouri - Columbia
- MBA, Missouri State University
- BS, Hospitality and Restaurant Administration, Missouri State University
- Certified Hospitality Educator, American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute
- HRA 720: Hospitality Change Management & Leadership
- HRA 499: Internship in Hospitality
- HRA 490: Advanced Hospitality Leadership
- HRA 310: Analyzing Financial Performance in Hospitality Operations
Professor Hein has published in the areas of curriculum development and review, student recruitment and learning, financial analysis, food service preparation techniques, and has made numerous presentations to professional and educational organizations. She serves as the elected Treasurer for the International Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (ICHRIE), an elected Board Member for the Association of Hospitality Financial Management Education (AHFME), and was appointed by the mayor to serve on Springfield’s Convention and Visitors Bureau Board of Directors.
Research and professional interests
Refereed journal articles (published):
- Hein, S. G. (2013). Localized revenue implications of severe tornado outbreaks on the lodging industry. The Journal of Hospitality Financial Management, 21(1), 4-16. Go to: http://news.missouristate.edu/2013/08/20/tornado-3/ or http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10913211.2013.820068?journalCode=uhfm20
- Hein, S. G. (2012). The learner-centered classroom: A case for applying learner focused strategies in the hospitality classroom. The Consortium Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, 17(2), 27-39.
- Hein, S. G. & Riegel, C. D. (2012). Human resources and organizational management content in the hospitality curriculum: How professionals view it. Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, 11(2), 165-181. Go to: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15332845.2012.648897#.VzSWIoSDFBc
- Hein, S. G. & Riegel, C. D. (2011). Hospitality industry professionals’ perceptions of the importance of content areas in the finance and accounting curriculum. Journal of Hospitality Financial Management, 19(2), 3-32. Go to: http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1274&context=jhfm
Conference proceedings (published):
Other notable publications
- Hein, S. (2007). Techniques of Food Preparation, 2e. United States of America: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Hein, S. (2004). Techniques of Food Preparation, 1e. United States of America: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Awards and honors
- Recognized by the Springfield Business Journal as one of Springfield’s Twenty Most Influential Women of 2014.
- Faculty Excellence in Service, College of Natural and Applied Sciences, Missouri State University, 2012
- Provost’s Academic Leaders Program, Missouri State University, 2009
- Faculty Fellow, Missouri State University’s Living Learning Communities initiative, 2007, 2009
- Recognized by Missouri State University’s R.E.A.L. Bears Student Program as a faculty member “Who Has Made A Difference," 2008, 2009, 2010
- Master Academic Advisor, Missouri State University
- USA Funds Grant-$185,000 to support the formation of the Hospitality Leadership Academy in southwest Missouri, Spring, 2015
- Darden Foundation Grant - $25,000, Spring 2008
- Missouri Beef Council Educational Grant - $16,719, Fall 2003 – Spring 2009