Dr. Stephanie N. Norander
Missouri State University
901 S. National Ave.
- PhD, 2008, Ohio University
- MS, 2004, Stockholm School of Economics
- BA, 1999, Ohio University
- COM 205 Interpersonal Communication Theory and Skills
- COM 209 Survey of Communication Theory
- COM 336 Communication in Organizations
- COM 597 Organizational Conflict and Systems Design
- COM 714 Qualitative Analysis in Communication Research
- COM 736 Concepts and Analysis of Communication in Organizations
- COM 796 Independent Study
Research and professional interests
I study organizing that promotes social change and allows for diverse perspectives and voices to be heard, and I am particularly interested in the relationship between communication theory and organizational praxis. I am particularly drawn to issues surrounding empowerment, gendered organizational identities and inter-organizational cooperation, and I tend to draw upon critical and feminist theories to make sense of these processes. I have worked with non-governmental and corporate organizations both in the U.S. and internationally and my work has been published in Communication Studies, Management Communication Quarterly and Health Communication. I’m an active member of the National Communication Association, the Organizational for the Study of Gender Language and Communication, and the International Communication Association.
Awards and honors
- Kramarae Outstanding Dissertation Award 2009, Organization for the Study of Communication Language and Gender. (August 21, 2009).
- The Claude Kantner Graduate Fellowship, Ohio University. (2008).
- Outstanding Graduate Student Teaching Award, International Communication Association. (2005).