- PhD, Kinesiology with an emphasis in biomechanics and neutral control, 2007, University of Minnesota
- MHS, Physical Therapy, 1992, University of Indianapolis
- BS, Physical Therapy, 1987, Marquette University
- PTE 712: Biomechanics and Kinesiology
- PTE 750: Research and Outcome Analysis
- PTE 803: Sports Physical Therapy
- PTE 872: Orthotics, Prosthetics, and Assistive Technology
- PTE 883: Patient Management: Critical Integration and Analysis II
Dr. Hackney joined the Department of Physical Therapy in July 2007. He had practiced as a physical therapist for almost 20 years, mainly in sports rehabilitation and orthopedic physical therapy, prior to becoming a full time academician in 2007. This clinical work was interrupted for 9 months while he served as the Interim Chair of the Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Ivy Tech State College in Gary, Indiana and for 2 months while he taught workshops in orthopedic physical therapy in Managua, Nicaragua.
Research and professional interests
- Behavior of the human lower body in high speed movements
- Sports physical therapy
- Hackney, J. M., Wade, M. G., Larson, C. J., Smith, J. P., Rakow, J. (2010). Impairment in anterior cruciate ligament reconstructed subjects in adjusting ground reaction forces in running. Physiotherapy and Practice, 26,(8).
- Hackney, J. M., Hunt, G. C., Lerche, F. F., Voi, P., Smith, J. W. (2010). An external shoe modification for reducing metatarsal head pressure in people with metatarsalgia. Journal of Prosthetics and Orthotics 22(1), 37-42.
- Hackney, J. M. (2001). Effect of elastic lumbosacral supports on mechanical stresses on the lumbar spine. Occupational Ergonomics, 2(4), 251-256.
- Hackney, J. M. (1993). Relationship between forward head posture and diagnosed internal derangement of the temporomandibular joint. Journal of Orofacial Pain, Quintescence Publishing, 7(4), 386-390.
Hackney, J. M. (1998) "Anatomy and Physiology" in Kulstad,S . ed. "Sports Medicine for Young Athletes: A Guide for Parents, Teachers, and Coaches" Fairview Press.
Hackney, J. M., Hunt, G. C., Lerche, F., Voi, P., Smith, J. M., Annual Combined Sections Meeting, "Mechanism and Effectiveness of an External Shoe Modification in Treatment of Patients with Metatarsalgia," American Physical Therapy Association, San Diego, CA. (February 18, 2010).
- Hackney, J. M., Hunt, G. C., Lerche, F., Voi, P., Smith, J. Annual Meeting of American Orthotics and Prosthetics Association, "Mechanism and Effectiveness of an External Shoe Modification in Reducing Metatarsalgia Symptoms," American Orthotics and Prosthetics Association, Seattle, WA. (September 22, 2009).
- Hackney, J. M., Spring Sports Medicine Conference, "Preservation of proprioceptive sensitivity in running gait with anterior cruciate ligament reconstructed subjects," Minnesota Sports Medicine (April 2007).
- Hackney, J. M., Matheson, L., Harvison, L., Minneapolis Sports Medicine Center Weekly conference series, "Evaluation and treatment of functional instability of the lumbar spine." (May 2002).
- Coleman, K., Gilchrist, L., Hackney, J. M., Swenson, M., Spring Conference of Minnesota Chapter of American Physical Therapy Association, "Walking the World Wide Web: Using the internet to enhance your clinical practice." (April 2002).
- Hackney, J. M., Spring Conference, Minnesota Chapter, American Physical Therapy Association, "Effect of elastic lumbosacral supports on mechanical stresses on the lumbar spine," American Physical Therapy Association. (April 1998).
- Coleman, K., Gilchrist, L., Hackney, J. M., Swenson, M., Fall Conference of Minnesota Chapter of American Physical Therapy Association, "Participation in Research by Clinicians through Case Study Presentation." (October 1997).