Dr. Matthew P. McKay
- PhD, Geology, West Virginia University
- MS, Geology, University of Alabama
- BS, Geology, University of Alabama
- GLG110: Physical Geology
- GLG340: Structural Geology
- GLG412: Field Geology of the Mid-Continent
- GLG413: Field Geology (Summer Field Course)
- Geological Survey of Alabama (2014-2016): Field geologist
- Geological Society of America: member
Research and professional interests
Dr. McKay studies tectonic mountain building processes by integrating field studies of metamorphic terranes, igneous provinces, and sedimentary basin fill. His students conduct field-intensive studies, including field mapping, and high-precision geochronology to investigate the age, duration, and magnitude of tectonic events.
Most recent publications
- McKay, M.P., Stowell, H.H., Gray, K.D., Schwartz, J.J., Bollen, E., (in press) Metamorphism records thrust faulting during prolonged terrane accretion: Sm-Nd garnet and U-Pb zircon geochronology and P-T paths from the Salmon River suture zone, west-central Idaho, Lithosphere.
- Fildani, A., McKay, M.P. , Stockli, D.F., Clark, J.D., Weislogel, A.L., Dykstra, M., Hessler, A.M., (2016) The ancestral Mississippi drainage archived in the late Wisconsin Mississippi deep-sea fan, Geology, vol. 44 (6), p. 479-482.
- McKay, M.P., Coble, M., Hessler, A.M.,Weislogel, A.L., Fildani, A. (2016), Petrogenesis and provenance of distal, airfall tuffs in the Permian-Triassic Karoo Basin, South Africa: a window into a dissected, magmatic province, Geosphere, v. 12 (1).
- McKay, M.P., Weislogel, A.L., Fildani, A., Brunt, R., Hodgson, D., Flint, S. (2015), U-PB zircon tuff geochronology from the Karoo Basin, South Africa: implications of zircon recycling on stratigraphic age controls, International Geology Review, vol. 57 (4), pp. 393-410.